Application Deadline: September 7th, 2017
The call for applications for the 2018 Global Leaders Program (GCL) is now open until September 7th, 2017. Applicants will be notified to their application outcome by November 30th, 2017.
Established in 2011, the GCL is a seven0week education program offered by Coady Institute;s International Center for Women’s Leadership. This program enables women from developing countries to strengthen their leadership capasities in order to contribute to innovation and change in their organizations and communities. Program participants engage in learning grounded in real work experiences and focused on Coady’s core thematic areas. Through a shared learning environment with other emerging women leaders from around the world, participants are exposed to a range of experiences and tge beginnings of a potentialy lifelong network of support.
The GCL provides succesful candidates with a scholarship that includes tuition, travel, accomodation, and meals. Succesful participants are responsible for cost pertaining to acquiring a visa to enter Canada.
Program particupant benefit from the guidance and mentorship of accoplished women leaders from around the world. The program is led by a core team of staff in International Center for Women’s Leadership and supported by other Coady faculty and associates.
This program is targeted to emerging women leaders from developing countries who are working on development issues. These are women who:
*Possess a minimum of five years of demonstrated leadership experience in a social or econimic development endeavor in sectors such as livinghoods or inclusive economic development, food security, environment,a ccess to education and health care, governance, political engagement of women and the right of girl and women;
*Will be immediately returning to their community and sector following the program to put their learbing into practice;
*Have great drive and passion for their work, demosntrated through their outstanding constributions in their organizations and communities;
*Are practitioners in civil society organizations including community based organizations and not for profits, or active in public or private institutions, donor/philanthropic agencies, social movemnet of post-secondary education and experience; and
*Have strong oral and written English language competencies.
Candidates must be from a country eligible for Official Development Assistance.
- Successful candidates will receive a full scholarship to participate in this program, including the cost of economy-class travel, tuition, room and board. The cost of acquiring a visa for entry into Canada is the responsibility of the successful candidate.
Program Schedule and Components:
For 2018, The GCL consists of two main components:
- May 9th – June 28th, 2018: A seven week on-site intensive course at the Coady International Institute in Antigonish, nova Scotia where a collaborative relationship is fostered among facilitators and participants to draw out lessons and insights from their rich and diverse experiences. This consists of:
- A foundation module, in which participants focus on leadership theory and essential competencies, analysis of gender, citizenship and power, practical understandings of these concepts and their apllication for women leaders within tehir own contexts, strengthening capacities for social innovations, partnership building in multi-stakeholder environment,a nd enhancing abilities to realize citizen-driven asset-based development.
- A focus on gendered approches for social, political and economic empowernment and community development, including addresing legitimacy and accountability in governance structures, building resilent communities and strengthening inclusive economies.
- A final module, in which participants articulate an action plan for how they will tahe their new learning home to provide leadership in their organizations and comminities and continue to work towards empowering other women moving forward.
- July 1st– December 31st, 2018: participants will benefit from one-on-one mentoring from experienced women leaders upon their return gome for up to six months to follow on the application of learning into practice. Mentors and mentees will be matched during the recidency period based on specific needs and geographic locations. Participants will also join a global alumnae network of women leaders.
More info can visit :